Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Bushman Axe by Les Stroud

Next month, Wetterlings will be introducing a new model axe, designed in collaboration with Survivorman, Les Stroud.

bild_27

The axe will be available for sale sometime in November, according to Wetterlings.

Judging from the picture, it is an interesting design. The poll appears to have been reduced in size, and possibly rounded like we see on the GB Hunter’s Axe. This was possibly done to aid in skinning tasks. I am not sure how that will effect the balance of the axe. The smaller poll will also likely make tasks like pounding in stakes a bit harder.

I like that they have used a less finished handle design. I am not sure if this will be the same as the final product, but if so, it will go a long way towards demonstrating that axes are not much harder to hang in the woods than a hawk. It will however most likely be replaced by a more highly finished handle, a picture of which can now be seen on the Wetterlings website.

I would love to get my hands on one of them when they finally go on sale. I am usually not a big fan of celebrity designed axes, but it’s always fun to see what little special things each person values in their tool.

1 comment:

  1. It is Very interesting desagin. How I see Is a mixture of Finnish and Swedish axe.

    I wonder what was the desagining concept

    ReplyDelete